- Gender Equality-Is it really equal? - October 29, 2020
- Stand out from the crowd by implementing proper professional Etiquettes - September 24, 2020
- Personal branding for career success - August 9, 2020
Concept of self-development
Self-development is the process of development in any human beings. It means the development of human qualities for the manifestation of the inner excellence of any person. It is a continuous process of development of different skills in a human being. Self development is possible by developing trust & habit of sharing through self-disclosure & identifying the needs of others through self-analysis. It can be made by improving the psychological well-being & qualities in a person. If any person can acquire some skills such as perceptual skill, communication skill, presentation skill, writing skill, listening skill, feedback skill, personality, self-confidence etc, then self development will be possible.
Self-development is a continuous process of developing some basic & core skills in the human beings. It is a continuous process of generating & developing some skills to face the challenges in life. Self-development can be made by arousing the inner excellence of human soul. Self –development may be made by improving the psychological well-being. For self-development, the following skills are to be acquired by any person.
- Development of perceptual skills.
- Development of communication skills.
- Development of writing skills.
- Development of presentation skills.
- Development of listening skills.
- Development of personality.
- Development of self-confidence.
- Development of feedback skills.
1.Development of perceptual skills:
Self-development depends on the development of perception. Perception relates to the following
- Perception of self: Every person needs to have proper perception about himself or herself. Neither over-confidence nor less confidence is acceptable in anyone’s personality.
- Perception of others: Interpersonal communication can be improved through accurate perception. Self-perception is developed in well-behaved people.
2.Development of communication skills: Self-development depends to a large extent on the development of communication skill
3. Development of writing skills: Self-development depends to a large extent on the writing skills of an individual. Writing skills consists of clarity, conciseness, completeness, correctness & courtesy.
4. Development of presentation skills: Presentation skills include speaking or oral presentation skills. Oral presentation means speaking before the audience. It is a face-to-face communication. Self-development is aided by the development of effective speaking or presentation skill of any individual. Audio-visual aids may be used to enhance speaking skill.
5. Development of personality: Personality is the sum total of ways in which an individual reacts & interacts with others. Personality traits such as aggressiveness, submissive, lazy, ambititious, loyal, timid, tough-minded, trusting, conservative, self-assured, self-dependence etc.All these qualities describe the behavior of an individual. Self development depends on the positive presence of the personality traits. Development of the personality attributes induces self-development significantly.
6. Development of listening skill: Listening plays a significant role in effective communication. Listening skill can be improved by positive attitude, concentration of mind, interaction, wider perspective, greater objectivity, open mindness etc.
7. Development of self-confidence: Self-confidence is essential for self-development. Self-confidence arises because of knowledge of the subject matter, analytical ability, clarity of thought, conviction, mental alertness, logical sense, firm determination, general awareness, sense of duty, logical reasoning, and courage etc.Self-confidence is also created because of realistic conception & the willingness to perform any job effectively.
8. Development of feedback skills:Feedback is a process of asserting sender’s intention & the understanding of the message by the receiver. Feedback skill may be developed by focusing on specific behavior, keeping the feedback impersonal, keeping it goal-oriented, making it time-bound, ensuring understanding of meaning etc.Feedback skills help a lot for self-development.
S stands for Strengths.
W stands for Weaknesses.
O stands for opportunities.
T stands for Threats.
SWOT analysis is the process of analysis of the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities & threats of any person. SWOT analysis states the degree of strengths & weaknesses in the process of self-development. It also indicates the probable opportunities available & the threats or challenges that may be faced in the process of self-development as well as the process of communication. The opportunities give the scope of performances. SWOT analysis is helpful to identify the process of development & the precautions to be made in the system.
It guides the communicator to follow the correct path in the process of communication.
The four elements of SWOT analysis are stated below.
It indicates the positive qualities of any person. Generally, strengths includes the following:
- Ability to achieve much in a short span of time.
- Ability of perception.
- Hard-working & active habits.
- Dynamic characteristics.
- Ability to organise.
- Efficiency in getting the job done.
- Synchronising capacity of the total work.
- Effectiveness as communicator.
- Adaption to computer or any other skills.
- Strong personality & firm determination.
- Self determination & strong will.
Weaknesses state the inabilities of the person. Some weaknesses are stated as follows:
- Excitement & emotions.
- Weakness in the field of protest.
- Weakness to express the truth when he or she is in the pressure.
- Weakness to overcome emotional barriers.
The opportunities of any person for self-development may be analysed from the following view-points:
- Scholastic activities.
- Extra-curricular achievements.
- Position held in competitive nature.
- Scope of promotion in the process of development.
- Field of innovation & creativity.
- Scope of expression in the field of research & development.
Threats are the difficulties faced by any individual for self-development. The threats are listed in the following ways:
- Pressure or stress from outside sources.
- Misconception about the person by the surrounding environment.
- Misconception about the message sent by the person because of ambiguity.
- Excitement & insecurity.
- Interruption in listening.
- Noise in the communication system.
Self-development is very necessary in terms of professional & personal success. & it can lead anyone to grow in his or her career. Every person need to aware of their own strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, & threats so that they can minimize their weaknesses by enhancing their strengths. & by availing their opportunities can minimize their threats. Communication can be made effective by following some specific principles such as organization of messages, personal touch, mutual understanding, provision for feedback, selection of a good channel, active listening etc.
Once we are able to develop ourselves, then we need to position ourselves as brand for our work-place. The strategies for self-branding are as follows:
- Be a great team-mate & a supportive colleague.
- Be passionate about your job & make others know that you are excellent in your particular task or job.
- Finish the tasks assigned to you on time with exceptional quality.
- Be proactive & discuss your views on improving things with your senior officials.
- Bring in innovations into your projects or tasks to make it more efficient.