‘FRUSTRATION’. I think this is a sentiment which all of us feel in some form or the other, everyday. And by ‘all’ I mean kids less than 3 years of age also feel frustrated in their small kingdom and octogenarians also face this in their endeavour to live life. Needless to say all those in between become victims of Frustration due to obstacles in their path. Whether we get the thing later on or not, is not the point. The point is that at that precise moment when we want something, we do not get it. The funny part is that at that moment we also think that we will never ever get it! I have seen very few people not losing hope and trudging along with the larger picture in mind.
In an organization setup, the employees, the boss, the administrative staff, all feel frustrated due to various things. Sometimes it is because of physical things like a faulty computer or the coffee machine not working. Sometimes it is because of colleagues. Let us call it intra-organizational frustration. In this too, there are types (And I am naming them :)))))
- Boss feeling frustrated bcoz of employees – Why are all of them so incompetent, irresponsible and unreliable? (downward frustration)
- Employees feeling frustrated bcoz of boss – Why does the boss favour a particular employee? Why doesnt he feel I am capable for a raise? Why am I always targeted? (upward frustration)
- Employees feeling frustrated bcoz of other employees – Why is my name not featuring in the list of excellent employees and why are the others’ names there when they have not contributed significantly in the project? (horizontal frustration)
- One department feeling frustrated bcoz the other department is not doing its work properly (diagonal frustration)
There are inter-organizational frustrations also. One company doing better than the other in terms of profits, bonus etc. Apart from these frustrations, there are love frustrations, looks frustrations, exam frustrations and social frustrations: bcoz of traffic, parking issues, governmental issues, environmental factors, mankind in general etc.
Life does seem complicated. But we need to find a way out. What can we do? We can keep the following things in mind:
- All frustrating things are short-lived
- Close your eyes, breathe deeply, loosen up your body and force a smile
- Think: We are not the only ones to get frustrated
- We can always divert our minds to think of something better
- Someone else might get frustrated because of us :((((
- Try to change the things which are within reach. Let the others be as they are. We are not super-humans.
- Empathize with those who seem frustrated too.
- And if things get too much: Shout out really loud when no one is around. It will release anger!
Hope some of you get some more patience to deal with frustrations in your life. Having faith in the superpower sometimes helps. Try doing it. Tell us about your ways to come out of the little disturbing things in and around your house and offices. We can make a longer list together. Comment and Share!